It is, the result of over reaction of the immune system to outdoor / indoor allergens.
2. Runny nose
3. Itchy eyes,nose and throat
4. Nasal congestion
According to Ayurveda (allergic rhinitis) Accumulation of ama in the body ,due to multiple reasons. The build up toxins , aggravate kapha (water)in the body ,that ultimately results in allergies. Common in weak digestion and metabolism,low immunity.
Seasonal: Mostly happens in spring and autumn, caused by outdoor allergens.
Chronic: Can occur anytime during year and is mostly caused by indoor substances like house paints, sprays or dust mites etc.
According to Ayurveda line of treatment;
1. Clearing the sinus
2. Expelling the phlegm
3. Detoxification -Nasya
Allergic Rhinitis can cause great discomfort. Treating it the Ayurveda way removes the root cause and increases immunity. Ayurvedic remedies start showing improvement within a few days. Maintaining a balanced lifestyle with Ayurvedic treatment can be a lasting cure for this disease.
1. Drinking 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder boiled with a pinch of salt lessens the symptoms.
2. Always carry few cloves and black peppercorns with you. Whenever you feel even a slight symptom keep two pieces in the mouth.
What to Eat
1. Light food, lukewarm water, rock salt and legumes are suggested. • Have Amla (Indian Gooseberry) powder mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey twice a day.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon of liquorice root powder, 1.5 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger, and 10-12 basil leaves to a cup of water. Boil until it is reduced to half. Drink when lukewarm in the morning and evening as a substitute for tea andcoffee.
3. Kashaya powder - Lightly roast, 1 cup coriander seeds, 1/2 cup cumin seeds, 1/4 cup fennel seeds and 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds. Grind finely and store. Make tea by boiling 1/2 cup milk and water each, and 1/2 teaspoon of Kashaya powder. Close the gas and add jaggery powder accordingto taste. Drink every morning.
4. Drinking 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder boiled with a pinch of salt lessens the symptoms.
-Dr. Sridevi R. Alva